Tables Galore!

The past four months have been crazy. The last time I posted to my blog it was late December and I was in the middle of running a Kickstarter campaign to launch my most recent table design. In early January I reached my fundraising goal and watched happily as pledges continued to roll in. The final days of the campaign brought with them an upswing in interest and even more pledges and, by the time the clock had run out, my excitement was mixed with a heavy dose of trepidation. I realized, basically the second the clock ran out on my campaign, that things look a whole lot different once the reality of having to go into production sets in.

From my point of view, the whole Kickstarter experience has two distinct parts to it and it’s hard to imagine the second while you’re still dwelling on the first. The campaign phase is so intense itself, with the project page building and planning and subsequent outreach and publicity that it’s hard to actually put yourself in a post-campaign mindset. Furthermore, there’s the fact that you don’t actually move on to fulfilling orders unless you reach your campaign goal. That means that, no matter how much you plan for it, the production phase is still somewhat of a fantasy until you know you’re going to get the money.

So there I was in mid January with the suddenly very real task of producing and shipping 22 tables, 11 lamps, 8 sculptures and a handful of prints. There were plenty or roadblocks and hurdles along the way, but I was eventually able to complete all orders and get everything sent out by the end of March. Rather than recount the whole production process, I figure it's be best to just show it with a bunch of pictures taken over the course of the project. Enjoy!

The first batch of cables and crimps I ordered as production got underway.

The first batch of cables and crimps I ordered as production got underway.

A batch of curves after getting a coat of polyurethane. At this point I said goodbye to any free space in my garage for the next few months.

A batch of curves after getting a coat of polyurethane. At this point I said goodbye to any free space in my garage for the next few months.

Stacked curves waiting to be assembled into tables.

Stacked curves waiting to be assembled into tables.

Lamp assembly

Lamp assembly

After delivering tables to my local backers with my car, it was time to start packing and shipping. I originally planned on making the boxes myself, but when confronted with the actual task I quickly realized it was way worth it to just buy some boxes.

After delivering tables to my local backers with my car, it was time to start packing and shipping. I originally planned on making the boxes myself, but when confronted with the actual task I quickly realized it was way worth it to just buy some boxes.

The garage just before packing commenced.

The garage just before packing commenced.

Figuring out how to package everything so it wouldn't explode in transit took a while. I ended up getting a bunch of insulation foam and using it to hold everything in place.

Figuring out how to package everything so it wouldn't explode in transit took a while. I ended up getting a bunch of insulation foam and using it to hold everything in place.

Packaged table. I sent them out all over the country. One even went to Abu Dhabi!

Packaged table. I sent them out all over the country. One even went to Abu Dhabi!

The first batch of boxes I took to FedEx. Seven more trips followed.

The first batch of boxes I took to FedEx. Seven more trips followed.

All things considered, the whole Kickstarter experience was incredibly exciting and rewarding, though there were plenty of moments of anxiety and frustration. It was a big relief to finally get everything sent out and I'm enjoying having a little less on my plate. Since early April I've started work on a few new projects and will be writing about them soon. Stay tuned!