Yesterday I finished work on a new table lamp. It was a project that I spent a lot of time mulling over and tinkering with before I finally came up with a good design. I made my first pass at creating a table lamp at the end of last summer and, while it wasn’t bad, it was an overly complicated design that I didn’t think was right to add to my product lineup.
In December, I came up with a simpler concept that involved a wooden tapered “neck” that would be balanced on top of a small base by four tensioned steel cables. The design called for the four cables to be oriented completely vertically and, because I had never tried anything quite like it before, I wasn’t sure if the lamp would actually be stable. I therefore set about making a prototype.
I made the first prototype out of cheap MDF and, through building it, I learned that the cabling method I was experimenting with was capable of creating a stable lamp. However, I also found that I didn’t really like the design I had come up with. I still thought there was too much going on and I didn’t like the way the cables on either side of the neck interfered visually with each other through the big hole I had left. I went on to another round of sketching.
As is usually the case, simpler was better. In my final design, I simplified the neck of the lamp so that it was one solid, beveled piece made up of walnut and cherry. As I sketched out ideas for the final design, I found myself thinking of the neck of a guitar. To spice things up a little bit, I added contrasting walnut and cherry plugs where the cables enter the neck and base.
I’m pretty pumped with the end result! You can check out the Balance Table Lamp product listing here.